Sunday 12 March 2017

BLOG 338


BLOG 338

I have thoroughly enjoyed completing the little embroidered bowl this week. It is such a change from my usual sewing and there is a lot of freedom for design in pattern and colour with the threads. Machine embroidery is so forgiving as layers can be added on top of any areas that you don’t like!

             Decorative detail

              Detail 2

           Detail 3

           Detail 4


When I was happy that I had done as much detail as I wanted, I trimmed away the excess soluble layers from around the outer edge. The embroidery was then placed into a round flat dish and boiling water was poured over the top. Because I wanted to have quite a rigid bowl, I didn’t want to wash out all of the vanishing medium. I wore rubber gloves to handle the piece and washed away as much as I thought necessary by replacing the hot water. The piece was then put onto an upturned bowl to dry naturally and that is when the colour and beauty of the sheer fabric between the layers of stitches starts to become evident.

           Trim

          Bowl

            Outside detail

            Inside detail


This is the vanishing medium I use for solid structures like this bowl.

           Vanishing medium

I had a lunch date here with my ‘bestest’ quilting chums and we sometimes have a show and tell of our latest finished pieces. Gwenda had made a quilt for her granddaughter, a beautiful batik star in graded colours. These fabrics were chosen over the phone by Gwenda when her family were holidaying in Florida, thus illustrating the power and effectiveness of modern technology!  It shows the sunset, sky, reef and sea. Just lovely!

            Gwenda’s quilt

           Border detail

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment