Sunday 5 March 2017

BLOG 337


BLOG 337

If you have been following my blog you will know that I have been playing with an old favourite block, namely Delectable Mountain.  This is the wall hanging I made some time ago to enhance the décor in a bedroom.

            Bedroom wall hanging

This week I have continued to sew more colourful blocks to make another such wall hanging. As I made a block, I laid it on the carpet by the sewing machine table (in the absence of a design wall) so that I could try different placements and see the layout developing.

            Layout 1

                Layout 2

I could see a strong diamond pattern developing and decided to run with it. By layout 3 I thought I had finished but then I realised that the tips of the dominant yellow diamond had been cut off. One more row to top and bottom was sewn and the final layout was complete. It needs constructing and quilting now but I am well pleased with the result and it reminds me that fabrics are never too good to use! Storm Doris was to blame for this one!

             Layout 3

             Final layout

Last Monday I had a sewing day with Suzette (one pin Smart!). There is a cosy group of just 4 of us sitting around the table in Suzette’s kitchen and I feel privileged to be there alongside such competent and imaginative sewers. I have yet to break away totally from the years of dogged precision that became second nature to me during my 30 years of quilting. I do try to be freer but it’s hard. Here’s what is going on around me. Peggy has made another fabulous wreath, this time in tropical colours with a humming bird. Pat has embarked on another cockerel with attitude and Suzette is creating another of her signature birds. It’s all wonderful!!

            Peggy’s tropical wreath

            Detail

               Pat’s cockerel

              Feather detail

           Suzette’s bird

And I am having another go at a machine embroidered bowl, just like Ella did last week. This one will sit beside my sewing machine to collect the threads I discard and, hopefully, it will get me out of the habit of just dropping them on the floor!

             Sheer fragments

              Soluble film

             Scribbling

            Decorative detail

No comments:

Post a Comment