Sunday 5 November 2017

BLOG 370

Blog 370
I attended a wedding at Willington Hall this week. The daughter of my best friend was getting married and it was such a lovely and happy occasion! The selected colour theme was maroon and gold and I offered to make a signature quilt to mark the occasion.  I only made this offer 2 weeks ago, so I had a bit of a rush to get the necessary fabrics together. I have made myself a signature quilt before for my Silver Wedding anniversary.
 

 
              Silver wedding quilt
 
I also made one a few years ago for the bride’s mother on the occasion of her 60th birthday.



 
          60th birthday quilt
 
 

I love star quilts but I don’t like to repeat a pattern too often so I used a traditional 8 pointed star and left a space in the centre to take a signature. I think cards or guest books are the place for sentiments, messages and comments and the bride agreed that it should be just a signature quilt. As I will be machine embroidering all the names, I was heartily glad!



 
            The pattern
 
I cut all the pieces out to make sure that I had enough fabric and placed them into bags. This is very organised for me!
 





 
              Organisation
 
 

I draped a signature quilt behind a table and placed two baskets on top of the table, one for signed blocks and the other for unsigned blocks. I also put up a notice to let people know what was going on. It caused much interest!



 
           Invitation to sign
Signing on fabric can be difficult so I decided to use water-erasable markers and I also fashioned a square of sandpaper to put over the top of the square to stop the fabric from moving too much. It worked remarkably well.



 
                Sandpaper
 



 
                Signed blocks
 



 
            Gold stars
 
 



 
              Constructed stars
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment