Sunday 29 September 2019

BLOG 463

Blog 463
And didn’t it rain?!! Rain is always good for me as it means I can’t get out in the garden. It’s that time of year when I am supposed to be cutting back all the shrubs, knowing that whatever I do this end of the year will benefit the garden in the spring! There is still a lot of colour in the garden and plenty of leaves on the trees so I don’t want to be too premature in my savagery of the borders!
 

There is just the re-vamping of my design wall left to do before my playroom is totally finished, but when the polystyrene sheets arrive next week, I should be up and running. I can’t wait to see what creative ideas surface!
In the meantime, I have been content to do some more labels for my collection; these are small enough to start and finish in no time at all. The first is a left over motif from Tessa’s quilt that I made (a patch for each day of her breast cancer experience). This is followed by a little cross stitch design made by my sister Gwyneth for a greetings card. I always felt it was too good to send so I kept it and now it has found its place in my collection.
           Tessa’s patch
 

          Gwyn’s cross stitch
 
 
 
When I went to art classes, so many years ago, one teacher included many different techniques during the course. I came across some silk painting that I tried, not very successfully it has to be said, and I selected a small portion for another label.


          Silk painting
 
 

The final label is a technique that I was shown with ribbon and decorative machine stitches. Once sewn, the ribbon is stitched by hand at intervals to produce a textural surface. (I don’t want to do this again as I didn’t enjoy it!) The labels are waiting for the edges to be satin stitched.
 

             Ribbon and stitch
 
 
 


         Textured surface
 
PROJECT: Christmas Candle wall hanging Part 1


 
The pattern is taken from a Christmas book by That Patchwork Place and I am doing it as a project with my local craft group. This will be another of my Xmas gifts this year. I have outlined this method before so here it is in a nutshell.
*Trace the pattern onto the WS of the foundation fabric (calico).
*Start anywhere on the design and apply the fabrics RS up onto the RS (unmarked) of the foundation as follows:-
Place each fabric in turn RS up on the unmarked side. Pin in place and sew (by hand or by machine) along the marked lines ALL ROUND the shape where this fabric will stay. Trim away any excess fabric on the outside of the stitched line on the RS.
*Build up the design in this way to cover all of the foundation fabric.
              Pattern
 

               Pattern onto fabric
 

            Placed
 

 
            Pinned
 

 
             Sewn WS
 

 
           Sewn RS
 
 
 

              Trimmed
 

             Corners
 

              Flame 1?
 

            Flame 2?
 

 
              Work in progress
 

 

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment