Sunday 15 December 2019

BLOG 474

BLOG 474
 
After putting it to one side on many occasions, I managed to finish the candle wall hanging just in time to give it to a friend for Christmas. This particular friend can’t sew any more after a severe stroke so it is nice to be able to present her with some of my work. She used to be a wonderful needlewoman, sewing beautiful items in a very precise way; I didn’t hold a candle to her in that respect (excuse the pun!). She can’t express it now but I’m sure she mourns for what she has lost. I have tried on several occasions to help her sew stitches onto Aida with large holes but after a few attempts she puts her needle down in frustration! I think by picking up the needle in the first place, she is just humouring me and, perhaps in trying to get her to sew, I am only emphasising what she has really lost. I’m sure it saddens her; it certainly saddens me.
 
 
               Wall hanging for Jennifer
 
As we free-fall towards Christmas once again, it’s just lovely to take time out to breathe! I did just that last Monday by spending a day at Suzette’s. Four of us were in attendance for our last session of the year.  We have always got on so well and we just sit and sew quietly (perhaps not!!) alongside one another. We each work on very different projects but I have learned an awful lot about machine embroidery by just observing what the others are doing. I love being there! This week Suzette had ordered some acrylic inks and she got them out for me to try. I loved the intensity of the colours and immediately wetted some calico and watched the colours run through it and blend together. So far so good! And then I had to decide what I was going to do with them. Inspiration came from a piece of work made by Suzette using a recycled tray cloth and, as I had yet to make 2 cards for quilting friends, I used that as a reference.
 
 


            Inspiration
 

 
I drew my robin shape onto the calico and used small bits of fabric to colour him in, holding the pieces down with a free-motion scribble stitch. This is such a liberating way to work for me after years of precision-cut patchwork shapes and ¼” seams!
 

 
          Robin in progress
 

 
And then I stood back and looked at his legs; they appeared much too heavy! Suzette suggested throwing some more fabric over the top to make it look as though he was grounded! It worked! I cut away the excess fabric with a fluted rotary cutter and stuck it on to a piece of card (just in case the recipient wanted to frame it!)
 

 
              Robin 1 card
 



Having got the hang of the procedure, number 2 robin was quicker to do and looked more natural.
               Robin 2 card
 
Pat was also working on a robin but she was revitalising a faded image on a calico bag. Her technique was totally different because she used layers of sheers cut into tiny pieces and she stitched over the top with a tiny stipple stitch to hold them down. I look forward to seeing this one finished.
 


             Pat’s robin
 
Pat’s sister Peggy continued to add more stitch and texture to what will be her ‘installation’ of a rotting tree stump! Watch this space!


 
           Peggy’s tree stump
 

Suzette had used the acrylic inks to paint a vivid turquoise piece of fabric before we arrived and she started to cut out a section of it to make a jug. You could almost see the heat waves rising above her head as she got to grips with this new project and started to create in stitch the vision that was in her head. She was obviously so pleased with her progress because she continued sewing into the evening to complete it and share it with me. Her background fabric was an old piece of table linen, parts of which remain visible around the edges, and she cuts up and recycles her own textiles to include in her most recent pieces. This is all about recycling! Google Suzettesmart.com to see all her lovely work.
 
 
              Suzette’s vase in progress
 
 

               Suzette’s vase complete
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment