Sunday 22 December 2019

BLOG475

BLOG 475
 
After working with acrylic inks at Suzette’s last week, I dug out my own fabric paints to continue the experience of painting on fabric. I love the colour effects you can get from dropping and mixing colour on wet fabric. My paints are called Koh-i-noor and they come in a neat stack which measures about 8cm across. This stack divides into 4 levels of colours as seen below.
 
              Fabric paints
 
 
 


            Colour range
 

 
I thoroughly wetted some coarse calico for a trial run and I painted across the surface. It was a very wet process as the water ran off the surface of the calico and puddled underneath! I used a mop-up cloth to soak up the excess and this is the one I prefer. With the preparations for Xmas I have yet to settle down to use this painted fabric but I will eventually!
 

 
            Painted fabric
 
 
 

                   Mop-up cloth
 
 


I needed another mini bag to hold a mini Xmas present so I made this one in record time, using cut up pieces from various unfinished projects.
 
              Another mini bag
 
 




At Chester PsnQs this week, the Faith wall hanging was presented to the minister who also loved colour thankfully and she was delighted to see the piece in the flesh, as it were. It will be shared with the congregation today and it will find its hanging place in the building. Job done!
As it was our December meeting, we all had a drink and a mince pie and then we sat around tables to sew companionably together. Our chosen project this year was a beaded tree decoration and anyone who knows me well will know that I have not time for beading. I really admire the intricacy of the patterns and the variety of uses and I also respect those who choose to do it as a hobby. It’s just not for me because I happen to prefer fabric. That said, I went along with it knowing that someone had made an effort to prepare the kits.
              Beaded decoration
 
 

 
And then it became clear why there was a jam jar lid on the requirements list! It was to keep the tiny beads in. The trouble was that my husband had rescued one from the recycling and it happened to come from pickled onion jar! Its strong odour overshadowed the evening and made the beads smell too. If I ever finish this decoration, I will have to spray it with something to camouflage the smell. I also started to sew the beads on incorrectly after only listening to instructions and not seeing the demonstration (they took ages to get to our table at the back on the room). The beads on the sample above have the hole upwards and mine had the side upwards. Not a good start to bead making for me! But look at what you could make if you had the interest and application.

 
           Beaded bauble
 

 
And now I know that Christmas is almost here because the robin is back on the wall again so all that remains is for me to wish you all a very Merry Christmas! I appreciate that you drop in periodically to read my weekly journal. Next week I will be doing a review of all the work I have created in 2019.
 

            Robin
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hapoy Christmas Dilys.

    Thank you for such an interesting year.

    ReplyDelete