Sunday 1 November 2020

BLOG 520

 

Blog 520

 

It was construction time for the silk wall hanging this week. My first task was to decide if I wanted to match the seams or stagger them. In the past, whenever I have made garden backgrounds with squares for my wrought iron gates, I always chose to stagger the seams. The reason behind this was to minimise the movement between individual squares and to give a more harmonious background. The only way to answer this question was to pin the strips onto my design wall and look at them from a distance.

 
Matching seams

 
Staggered seams

 

I preferred the orderliness of the matching seams so that was how I chose to proceed. I worked systematically pinning, sewing and pressing 2 adjacent rows at a time. Then I sewed 2 seamed sections into 4 seamed sections etc.

 
Pinning

 
Constant seam allowance

 
Progress

 
Right side

 
More progress

 
Press as you go

Final seam

 

I eventually got it together and pinned it on my design wall to enjoy the final effect. I could see straight away that there was a darker strip just right of centre; I must have reversed a set of 4 strips during the final construction! Damn!!

 
Completed ??

 

So with a bit of reverse sewing and a final double check I got there in the end!

 
Correct layout

 
Completed top 50” x 68”

 

The silk frayed terribly whenever I touched it and the back of the quilt and my floor mat bore witness to that fact. My clothes were always covered with threads whenever I sewed which drove me mad until I remembered all the effort that went into making just one silk thread. We visited a silk factory in China last year where I learned that a moth laid 500+ eggs and when they hatched, the worms were fed mulberry leaves for 1 month. These worms then spun cocoons which were eventually steamed to kill the worms and then rinsed in hot water to loosen the threads. Individual threads were then joined together into larger bundles to be woven into fabric. It’s an amazing procedure and I now have a greater respect for this particular wall hanging. It just needs quilting now!!

 
Fraying seams

 
Playroom mat

 

And I decided that I quite liked it once it was all together but I started to think what I could do to make it more pleasing to me, as suggested by my husband last week!  What if I cut out small circles and placed them on the surface, reversing the shading so that they were dark in the centre and moved to light round the outside edge! The only way to find out was to try it and after doing that I decided it was a step to far and the quilt became much too busy. The quilt was fine enough as it was!

 
What if 1

 
What if 2

 

As I was playing one early afternoon, I was amazed to see fairy lights shining at my window! Well that’s the way I chose to look at them. The setting sun was shining through a partition hedge to create that effect. It made me happy!

 
Fairy lights

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment