Sunday 3 January 2021

BLOG 529


Blog 529

 

From where we live on the side of a hill, we were able to witness the fireworks going off across the region to welcome in the New Year, getting 2021 started with a bang. And off we jolly well go again!

I have started to play with some transfer paints which I purchased a good 18 months ago and never used. You know how it is when you go to the Festival of Quilts and watch someone doing a slick and practiced presentation. You get carried along until you think ‘I could do that’ and you end up buying the product! Once home, it gets stored and then it never sees the light of day! There is also a marbling kit but I have never opened either of them! I am going to challenge myself to use them and to see whether they have a place in my current style of work.

 

Marbling kit

 

Transfer paints

 

Transfer paints have to be painted on paper and then they are ironed onto fabric to transfer the colour. My starting point was to colour the paper so I know what’s in each bottle and to stick these samples in a book for reference. So far so good! Then I ironed squares of these colours onto fabric several times to see how much of the colour transferred each time. You can see these samples at the bottom of the picture.

 

Colours

 

Then I thought, I wonder if you can paint a scene on paper and then transfer that onto fabric. You can and here are the samples for that. In the process, the design becomes reversed of course and some of the colours become more intense. I had intended to draw some detail on the sample with my sewing machine but it has been mislaid under the pile of ‘controlled chaos’ that needs to be sorted … and that will be my task this week. I have cleansed the house and had a good throw out; my playroom is next!

 

Painting on paper

 

Transferred onto fabric

 

I have completed the quilting on the cushion front from last month but I can’t finish it until I purchase a suitable backing. Either that or I must get imaginative with the fabric that I already have in abundance!! I am also machine texturing the colourful wall hanging from last month; I prefer to do this first before I add any flowers over the top.

Cushion front

 

Machine texturing

 

 

Latest label (in progress: paint and heavy stitch)

 

My Secret Santa gift from the family this year included a jigsaw which I have just completed. I get so much pleasure from jigsaws but to have one based in a quilt shop with 5 cats in the scene is as good as it gets!

 

Jigsaw

  

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment