Sunday 31 January 2021

BLOG 533

 

Blog 533

 

This has been another week of variety which suits me just fine. Our torpid lockdown days follow the same monotonous routine so it is a joy for me to have numerous projects on the go in my playroom. I am there most afternoons and I can’t really express how uplifting it is to be immersed in colour, thread and fabric. I don’t know how others are coping with lockdown without a similar creative outlet. I don’t watch a lot of TV, just selective programmes which I can record and watch at my leisure so I have plenty of time to read and play….and build snowmen!! My efforts last week lasted no more than 3 days and this is what was left on the lawn. Yesterday I could have built another one after substantial snow falls and, with last night’s freezing temperatures, it would have lasted much longer too!

 

Not so snowman!

 

I have storage boxes full of teaching samples and projects that I have been unable to use or sell in the past so I am at the stage now where I am ready to re-purpose them or bin them! Some stuff has gone straight into the bin but there was one colourful picture that I really loved. It used to hang in a large frame above the fire place for over 6 years until the frame dropped apart with the rising heat from the fire. This has now become a large bag and it is something I will definitely use when I am allowed to attend my sewing groups again.

 

Bag 1

 

Bag 2

 

In the sorting out/throwing out process I rescued what I could to make small labels for my growing collection. They have not been bordered yet nor has a ribbon been added, but they are pictured below. Label 1: this was added to a piece of work made for my 60th birthday by a very special quilty friend; it’s very special. Label 2: this is a section from a stitched textile which I made at Suzette’s. Label 3: this is made from a strip of off-cut fabric from the picture used to make the bag above. Label 4: hand embroidery in the style of Laura Wasilowski.


Label 1

 
Label 2

 

Label 3

Label 4

 

The multi-coloured quilting thread arrived this week so I was able to bash on with the strips for the Square Dance quilt.  This project has been an ideal diversion this week when weather conditions haven’t been favourable for our usual daily walk. I am at the stage now where all the strips have been quilted and they have been trimmed ready for reconstruction.

 

Square Dance quilting

 

Completed strip

 

Trimmed strip

 

In case boredom set in, I sent off for another jigsaw and here it is completed. It was a joy to do but it wasn’t without its challenges. As I was doing it I recalled that we used to attend balloon festivals in Bristol when the girls were small. If conditions were right (and often at 5a.m.!!), it wasn’t unusual for over 100 balloons to be air-borne at any one time. It was a spectacular sight. We are hoping to attend one in Yorkshire later this year if our covid circumstances improve, so it’s arms vaccine-ready and fingers crossed!!

 

Jigsaw

 

I am very fortunate in that I have always been a happy-go-lucky sort of person and I can find pleasure in the most trivial things in life. So this week, even though the local landscape is covered with snow and ice, I was thrilled to find that there are early signs of spring if you care to look. You can always trust Mother Nature to remain true to her rhythms and, as the days are lengthening, there’s nothing like a tree festooned in catkins to give hope for the springtime to come.  

 

First sign of spring

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment