Sunday 17 January 2021

BLOG 531

 

Blog 531


All this week my focus has been to make progress with the individual strips of the scrap quilt which I have decided to call ‘Set Square’. I have been in the zone this week because of the weather and I have persevered until all the long individual panels are now being layered up and pinned onto wadding and the backing fabric that I have created. I can’t remember the last time that I worked so efficiently and with so much focus; I enjoyed it! It was also extremely pleasing to have used a lot of my remaining cotton fabrics to create the backing strips for this quilt. Yes it would have been much quicker to have bought fabric but not quite so smugly pleasing as seeing my stash being reduced!

After sewing all the individual strips to each other, I relocated to the warmth of the lounge to cut off the joining threads and reduce the fabric on the corners. Then I had a brain wave when I decided to wrap the strips onto wide pieces of cardboard to keep them tidy and flat. I labelled them on their width and it is good to know that any remaining strips will be easily stored for future use.



Sewing

 

Trimming

 

Wrapping

 
Storing

 

Remainder

 

I decided as I went along that I would tidy up my fabric drawers bit by bit and that was when I found a tray of fabrics that I had not used! Mind you, these were tone on tone fabrics which, on reflection, might not have been suitable so I don’t feel quite as grumpy about it now!! But it probably means I have to make a final scrap quilt now to get rid of them. For a long while now I have been trying to reduce my considerable stash so that I can just concentrate on painterly fabrics like Batiks and Bali’s. The Liberty fabrics have been used up; the silks have been sewn into a quilt and most of my scrap fabrics are now part of many quilts and wall hangings!! Sometimes I wonder why I am still making large pieces of work like quilts and throws but I suppose it is a reflection of the raw materials that I have to hand and the compulsion to use them to show that the money to buy them wasn’t wasted!

 

Tone on tone fabris

 

Painterly fabrics

 

To create the backing strips I decided to sew them straight onto the wadding using a walking foot and a ‘sew and flip’ method.  To cope with the bulk I rolled the wadding so it would fit under the arm of the machine and I worked with multiple strips so that I made progress along each one at the same time. I finger-pressed each strip after flipping it and only ironed the whole strip on completion.


Strips onto wadding

 

Sewing

 

Flipping

 

Rolling


Progress

 

More progress

 

Pressing

 

I am at the stage where I am layering up the strips now ready for free motion quilting which should happen this coming week. I am delighted to have made so much progress on a piece of work which has been folded and ignored on top of a cupboard for many a month!!

 

Layering

No comments:

Post a Comment