Tuesday 3 April 2012

BLOG 92

Since landing back from Hawaii on Sunday, I have had a hectic 2
days slumped over my sewing machine quilting the Blue Tit for Chris Porter’s
exhibition on the theme of ‘Something borrowed, Something Blue’. I can
recommend a project like that for dealing with jet lag. I can’t sleep on night
flights so want to sleep all day on my return. This project kept me alert all
day and I slept well that evening. I called the wall hanging ‘sTITched’ justifying its suitability for
the theme by claiming it as an image borrowed from nature! As I forgot in my
haste to take a picture, you can see what it looked like without a border in
Blog 85.
Tomorrow I go to Alston Hall as the invited tutor to a group
called Shirl’s Girls. These residential courses are great fun and I have been
teaching this group annually for 15+ years. Most come year after year but
occasionally there are new faces and they are always made very welcome. I will
be teaching the Memorabilia Box (see the last Blog) and Landscape quilts (Blog
74). I don’t kid myself that these quilters will be there just to hang on my
every word! It’s the camaraderie that’s most important, the getting up-to-date with
each other’s lives again. And, if I am very lucky, perhaps I will see a
finished project or two from last year (fingers crossed). Mind you, I will have
to behave myself over the week end because some of them know my sister and my
mother! Here are the diverse samples to show what Shirl’s girls achieved
over the WE. I am so proud of them and I applaud their individuality.
Jan’s box with embellished lid
Ruth’s box with striped fabric

Shirley’s silk striped box with cross-stitched lid

Marion’s box with antique beading
Jean’s mini log cabin continued from last year

Shirley ad Susan’s Liberty scrap quilt

Janet’s eascape


Carol’s contemporary garden inspired by Paul Klee
Vivienne’s Tuscany landscape
Daphne’s formal garden

Marion’s contemporary woodland

Erica’s mountainous landscape
Bernie’s distant hills
Freda’s Yorkshire landscape





No comments:

Post a Comment