Sunday 8 April 2012

BLOG 93

We had a lovely time in Hawaii, with lots of adventures, and I did

get to see some traditional and iconic quilts in the museum in Waikiki.



Museum Quilts 1

Museum Quilts 2

Museum Quilts 3


Museum Quilts 4

We were indoors because Oahu had its worst rain (but at least it
was warm rain!) in living memory and we were in it … often! Our rather-untrendy
‘kags-in-bags’ were the most used item of clothing on this island! I went to
the shopping mall to attend a free 2 hour Hawaiian quilting class only to find
it had been cancelled because the teacher’s house had been flooded. Thwarted
again!

The shops had Hawaiian quilted crafts for sale, churned out specifically
for the tourist market. Here is Red Ted sitting on a typical display.


Tourist Quilts

ASIDE: Red Ted is one of my granddaughter’s
favourite toys. He came on holiday with us and we took pictures of him in
unusual places, doing unusual things. Being bright red, he stands out in any
environment and we had fun weaving daily email stories around him for Ella.
The quilt hung on the wall below was a rare sighting amongst those
made for the tourist market.


Shop Display

Well aware that I have an exhibition coming up soon at the
Ucheldre centre in Holyhead, on the island of Anglesey, I decided to get a
wriggle on with a couple of pieces of work that I would like to exhibit. Both
have been featured in earlier blogs but, (and if you are a regular follower you
will know this) I do have a habit of starting something and then going onto
something else. Working this way keeps me interested and alert creatively and
it allows me to mentally develop the ‘resting’ work before physically sewing
it. A sort of ‘suck it and see’ approach if you like.

The first quilt is the Seascape. Constructed using my painterly
method, wadding and backing were added using the turn-through method I have
described in past blogs. Then it was left unquilted, awaiting further
inspiration.


Seascape before Voile

I have never tried overlaying my pictures with
chiffon/voile/netting or the like before but I decided to try it when I can
across this piece of rainbow voile.



Rainbow Voile

This shows how the voile transforms the colours of the original
wall hanging. It was given it a warm glow and intensified the colours. And I
like it!


Seascape after Voile

No comments:

Post a Comment