Sunday 15 April 2012

BLOG 94

Yesterday, I completed my final teaching engagement at the Mellor
textile event near Stockport. It was a well organised event in a beautiful
setting on the edge of Cheshire. As the principal speaker in the morning, I was
able to give my quilts a well-deserved airing and I had the opportunity to sell
some books and patterns.
It took me a good few days to prepare thoroughly for the half-day
workshop because I decided to prepare a new project suitable for the 3 hours. I
also opted to provide packs for the 15 students on the course, so everyone
started to learn the ‘painting with fabric’ process with the right sort of fabrics.
This required ironing fusible to the vase and flower fabrics and joining
together 2 fabrics, a light and a dark, to make the background.
ASIDE: There is nothing more debilitating than
turning up to a workshop with fabrics that aren’t going to do what you want them
to do. There’s enough anxiety involved in learning a new method in the first
place without fretting over fabric choices. I rarely do fabric packs but in a general
group like this, where not all the members were quilter who would have a hefty
stash of fabrics behind them, I decided to provide prepared fabric. It was
greatly appreciated I have to say!)
Here is a visual outline of the method.



Prepare a vase or two


Position a vase or two onto a prepared background


Prepare some different flowers and leaves


Start to arrange the flowers and leaves in the vases



Free-motion machine stitch to add texture

No comments:

Post a Comment