Sunday 9 April 2017

BLOG 342


Blog 342
I have spent much time this week concentrating on the back of the rainbow quilt, patch-working a design so the buyer can use both sides of the quilt. I decided to do large blocks with a variety of batiks, cut at 13”. 4 were stacked together and cut randomly as shown below. They were then shuffled to give one of each of the fabrics on every layer before being sewn back together.


                Stack and cut

           Shuffle

               4 blocks


Several blocks later and there was enough variety for the quilt back.

             Quilt back

               Back, front and wadding


I didn’t have a large enough floor area to put the layers together as I usually prefer to do. So I used our large kitchen table and secured the quilt back with masking tape at the start of the process.

              Kitchen table

             Ready to quilt

And while I think about how I am going to machine quilt the beast, I needed to make a birthday card for a friend who will be 95 next week. I coloured some Bondaweb with Brusho paint and then ironed it onto a firm calico. I traced on the letters and then filled them in with thread stars. A bit of definition and detail helped to complete the embroidery which was stuck onto cream card.

            Letters

               Red stitch

              Orange stitch

                 Definition

              Detail

               Finished card

BTW: One of our Pacific Island friends who we met up with recently professes to be a bit of a racing buff so when he said that we should look out for a horse called ‘One for Arthur’ we promptly forgot about it …….. That is until the list was shown in the paper for the runners in the Grand National. So, on Saturday morning, my husband aged 72 went into the Bookies for the very first time in his life to place a bet on this horse, only to be confused and befuddled by the procedure. A kind gentleman in an adjacent queue filled in the betting slip for him and the money was handed over at the counter. And the rest as they say is history and we will find out tomorrow exactly what we have won!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment