Sunday 9 December 2018

BLOG 423

Blog 423
 
I have been concentrating on Xmas cards and presents this week, as one does at this time of the year. As I always like to make small individual things for my close friends, I thought I’d better get a wriggle on! I started with a decorative panel in the style of Kathleen Laurel Sage (check out her work and her patterns!). I have designed and made a couple of these before and cut them up for various reasons. Here is a remnant of a learning sample.
 

 
           Remnant
 
I designed a panel 3” x 9” and transferred it onto a layer of dissolving medium using a permanent marker.


             Design and transfer
 
Then I started to cover it with layers of sheer where I roughly wanted to see a colour change, before finally covering it with another layer of dissolving medium.


          Sheers
 
 

               Another layer of dissolving medium
 
I used a sturdy metallic thread and free-motion stitching to follow the lines, to accentuate the design and to hold the layers together. I used a hoop for better control.


            Stitched panel
 
 

            Soldering
 
 

           Soldered panel
 

My granddaughter asked if she could do some sewing (oh so proud!) so I started her off on a Christmas project. She was having a sleep-over and was so keen to carry on the next morning that she sat in her dressing gown to continue. Catch ‘em young is what I say!
          Ella sewing
 
 
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment