Sunday 20 September 2020

BLOG 514

 

Blog 514           

 

Oh Joy! We have had a trip to Yorkshire this week and it is must be the first time we have been away from home for over a year. I cannot tell you how good it felt to be on the open road again and to be staying in someone else’s home! We were in Easingwold, N of York, staying with our daughter and her husband. We visited Castle Howard of ‘Brideshead Revisited’ fame, and walked in the grounds of Duncombe Park. We also walked along Sutton Bank and enjoyed the spectacular views along the ridge. If you are watching the Yorkshire Vet on TV, you will see an image of a horse carved into the hillside; Sutton Bank is along the top of that ridge. Although I was born and bred in Lancashire, I can confirm that Yorkshire is a lovely county (albeit on the wrong side of the Pennines!)


 
Sutton Bank

 

I have managed to continue to work on the ‘still life with daffodils’ wall hanging this week. It is another play piece, one which helps me to hone my skills and allows me the freedom to play. The time spent doing such pieces is never wasted. The play process helps me to decide what I enjoy creatively, which techniques are helpful and which are not worth the effort for the results they yield. Here is the sequence in pictures.

 
Starting point

 
Temporary adhesive

 
Sheers

 
Daffodils

 
Final arrangement

 
Stitch

 
Jug detail

 
Stitch in progress

 
Detail on reverse

 
Finished piece

1 comment: