Sunday 27 September 2020

BLOG 515

 

Blog 515

 

Another week has passed and you can bear witness to the fact that I am between projects because I have tidied my playroom! It is just waiting to be used and cluttered with impunity. I really need to get my head (and the body will follow!) into a creative project, one which will see me through the autumn and winter months. My husband thinks I am at my most dangerous when I am NOT busy in my room. I start to notice things that need repairing or perhaps a room that needs decorating. Maybe there’s a tree that needs to be dug up or perhaps the house needs to be moved 6“ to the left to get the best of the evening sunshine!!! When I am happily creating I don’t have time to notice stuff in the same way and Rog, bless him, really appreciates the peace and quiet!


 
Clean studio

 

I still have a third ready-quilted panel to play with so I thought I’d try something different. I always prepare my background squares on the diagonal because that is the way I colour in. So as the sheers were to hand, I thought I would just try a few diagonal strips on the background to see what they looked like and to see what they added to the over-all look.


 
Sheers

 
Panel and sheers

 

I wasn’t too impressed with that (perhaps it needs more refinement) so I thought I would use one of my old (very old) panels that I used to provide when I taught applique many moons ago. It has simple shapes and it was ideal for an idea I had.

 
Panel and pattern

 

I traced the design onto template plastic and started to prepare the shapes using ready fused fabric. I used a sheet of backing parchment over the pattern so I could construct the image and fuse the shapes together where possible.

 
Template plastic

 
Applique shapes

 
Progress

 
More progress

 

At this point I thought I would try cutting the image into diagonal strips and place them onto the background. I used 505 Temporary Adhesive to hold the pieces in place.

 
Diagonal cutting

 
Staggered image

 

The image looks very regimented at this stage and I feel there is much more experimenting to do along these lines. This is the story so far and now, with a new jigsaw to hand, I will be easily diverted!!

 
Jigsaw

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment