Sunday 16 July 2017

BLOG 354


BLOG 354

I have never had a go at making fabric baskets and so I thought I would learn how and give the method a whirl. There are plenty of tutorials to view on the internet (isn’t that a marvellous tool?) and it all seemed very straight forward. I’m sure you know the expression ‘Just do it’, so I did it! I found some chunky rope in a hardware store and I pulled out some long 2 ½” fabric strips left over from a distant quilt project. I cut the strips down to 1 ¼” and I started to bind the rope, tidying and covering the raw ends with the help of a bit of glue. When I came to the end of a strip, I used glue to start the next strip and held it in place with a peg till it had stuck.

           Rope

            Covered rope

To start, I curled the end round and held it tight with a pin. I threaded my machine with a multi-coloured thread and set it on a wide zigzag with an open foot. I struggled to get the rope under the foot of my machine but, once it was in position, it sewed as normal. I continued until it was wide enough for a base, about 6”.

               Starting curl

             Machine zigzag

             Progress

And then came the shaping which was done simply by angling the base whilst continuing to sew. The only problem I encountered was when my machine foot disappeared into the wrapped fabric but it was easy just to stop sewing and swivel it out.

              Shaping

               Problem

When the basket was the size I wanted it to be (ie I had run out of the colourful fabric strips), I reduced the bulk of the rope by trimming back some of the fibres it in and I bound and stuck it to taper the end.

            Tapered end

             Completed basket above

               Completed basket side

For me, this project was a satisfying introduction to making fabric baskets and I shall make more. (I will have to as I have half of the rope left!). Next time I will use narrower fabric strips for a tighter wrap on the rope.

The ease of constructing the fabric basket project has been a stark contrast to the intricate small scale sewing of the Liberty sampler blocks. That said, I did manage to complete another 16-patch block this week; Road to Oklahoma. Bravo!

           Road to Oklahoma

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment