Sunday 8 October 2017

BLOG 366

BLOG 366
 
I have done more work on the border strips this week. The patterns I am using on this contemporary piece of work are normally used as quilting designs and they were sourced from traditional Welsh quilts. Instead of quilting them though, I am appliqueing the designs onto the felt background. As I added more layers of colour I realised that I was losing sight of the designs so I made the decision to define the shapes with a strong machine stitch. I used a chalk marker to define the lines surrounding the strips and the chalk disappeared as I was sewing.
 
 

 
 
 
Outer borders

 
            In progress
 
On my Bernina sewing machine, I have used Stitch 709 for the lines which are easy to follow and Stitch 713 for more complex shapes. Beyond that all the extra detail will be added by free-machine stitching and a soldering iron.



 
          Stitch 1
 



                Stitch 2
 


            Corner squares
 
 


               Detail
 
Here’s a reminder of the effects of free-motion stitching and soldering on the useful samples that I did when I was thinking through my working methods. Some design details have changed in translation.


 
           Border motif
 
 


             Corner
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment